46% of caregivers suffer from depression, just one of the signs of caregiver burnout. Others include:
- You have much less energy than you once had
- You are constantly sick and rundown
- You are constantly exhausted even though you sleep at night
- You neglect your own needs because you’re too busy or you don’t care anymore
- Caregiving is a source of anxiety and gives you little satisfaction
- You’re increasingly impatient and irritable with the person you’re caring for
- You feel helpless and hopeless.
There are ways to address these feelings and regain your energy with simple, common-sense strategies. If you are suffering from burnout, some of these suggestions may seem impossible to carry out. You really have no choice; to ignore burnout is to risk your ability to care for your loved one.